Thursday, November 12

Preparing for Nativity...


I've been working with Mary for the past few weeks on plans for The Tree of Jesse. Our goal was to make the daily Bible readings accessible for little children. Our first step in this was to go through the Children's Bible Reader to find the correlating passages. Most of the readings were available and can be found in a very handy spreadsheet that Mary has come up with.

We also wanted to try something a little bit different from the the typical Jesse Tree and Ornament set. After brainstorming, we came up with something similar to Mary's Most Holy Theotokos Candles. I chose eight beeswax candles (You could also do one large one) and am adding the small Jesse symbols for each week to one candle. I've been forming the symbols from decorating wax and Bendaroos (Wikki Stix).

In addition to the daily readings and candles, Mary and I have created a coloring page for each day. The pages show the symbol or story for each passage and will help children remember the reading for each day.

When the Nativity Fast begins on Sunday (November 15), we will light the candle for the week, read the Bible passage for the day, and color the coloring page for the day. I anticipate the best time for this will be after dinner, but we will have to see how things go. I'll keep you updated.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this lesson block!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful. I have all of our decorating wax, I just need to buy the votives. It's so nice to see the idea become a reality. I much prefer it over the ornaments.

Angela said...

Beautiful! We haven't had a chance to try decorating candles before. We've got the stockmar wax - I think I'll pick up some candles...

For our Advent readings, my husband reads them at the dinner table as we light the Advent wreath candles. This year, my oldest will take turns with Daddy, now that she's reading.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, you sure sound like a great mother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...